Chicago, IL – Nexus Radio announces new song naming standards. “The main issue being that special characters in song titles cause certain songs not to chart, disrupt artist separation rules, and cause our purchase query links for Amazon and iTunes not to work.” stated Nexus Radio CEO Manny Esparza. We are certain this issue is not exclusive to Nexus Radio and we hope the music industry will come together and embrace some if not all of the following.
Nexus Radio Song Naming Standards:
- Artist – Title (Mix) is the most widely accepted naming format. Using Brackets or any other characters for the remixer credit challenges automation software, song title scripts, and itunes, amazon purchase links on our web site.
- Using extraordinarily long names, commas, quotes, dashes or apostrophes also challenges our systems therefore will be removed or replaced with a similar apha character. For example “Ne-Yo” will be changed to simply “Ne Yo”.
- Artist features should be added at the end of the Title. Most automation programs will assume “Justin Bieber” and “Justin Bieber ft. Nicky Minaj” as two totally different artists and will play them back to back. This disrupts artist separation rules required for DMCA compliance.
- Remixers should use a short alias. While using Last names is generally acceptable, using First and Last names is not acceptable. For example:
“Oliver Watts & Barry Harris Club Mix” will be changed to “Watts & Harris Club” for a clubmix and “Watts & Harris Radio” for radio edit. We recommend coming up with a short alias such as “The Jumpsmokers” or “The Papercha$ers”.
- Do not use the entire word “featuring” or “feat” unless your artist and title names are extraordinarily short. Use a short abbreviation such “ft. or Ft”.
- A Maximium of 3 features will be allowed per track. In the format of “artist – title (ft. a & b & c). Lengthy names will be removed.
Examples of the file naming standards include:
Before: Benny Benassi Feat. Kelis, apl.de.ap, & Jean-Baptiste – Spaceship
After: Benny Benassi – Spaceship (ft. Kelis & apl.de.ap, & Jean Baptiste)
Before: Laidback Luke, Sebastian Ingrosso, Axwell, Steve Angello ft Deborah Cox – Leave the World Behind (Radio Edit)
After: Luke & Ingrosso & Axwell & Angello – Leave The World Behind (ft. Deborah Cox)